Installing Shepherd’s Staff with a USB Flash Drive
All new users of Shepherd’s Staff® will receive the installation files in the form of a USB flash drive or a secure download folder. These contain the Shepherd’s Staff installer, which will guide you through the installation process.
Here is how to install Shepherd’s Staff using a USB flash drive:
- Insert the USB flash drive into a USB port on your computer. A window will appear asking what you want to do. Select Open folder to view files.
- A message will appear asking to allow Shepherd’s Staff to make changes to your computer. Click Yes.
- The InstallShield will appear, listing any additional software that needs to be installed. In most cases, you will need to install the recommended software. Click Install. This will cause a new window to appear showing the progress of the required software. (If the required software has previously been installed, you can skip this step.)
- Next, you will see a warning about temporarily disabling your anti-virus software. This needs to be done only if you are using a third-party anti-virus software. Click OK. (If you are using Windows Defender, you can skip to the next step.)
- Click Next, and then agree to the License Agreement and click Next
- Confirm the location you want to house the church database. Click Next.
- Confirm all information in the next screen and click Next.
- Once the installation is complete, click Finish.
- Restart your computer, then reopen Shepherd’s Staff.
Upgrading the Software from within Shepherd’s Staff
If you already have Shepherd’s Staff installed, you can use the upgrade process, which is slightly different from the initial setup process. Software updates are available only from within your Shepherd’s Staff software; Concordia Publishing House will not provide a CD or USB unless you request it. The upgrade process requires that you have a current support plan and your database be registered.
Note: When upgrading to Shepherd's Staff 8.8 (2020), you must have Shepherd's Staff 8.7 installed first. If you are upgrading from an older version, call our support line at 1-800-346-6120 and one of our technicians will be able to assist you.
There are two ways of checking for updates; here is the faster and easier method:
- Open Shepherd’s Staff. On the login screen, check the box next to Check for software updates. Then sign in.
- Shepherd’s Staff will check for updates. If an update is available, a green banner will appear. Click on the banner.
- Close Shepherd’s Staff. On the new window that appears, click Continue.
- Follow the instructions in the InstallShield wizard described in steps 3 through 8 of “Installing Shepherd’s Staff with a USB Flash Drive” above.