In divorce situations, communication with the Contributors is important. Often one of the Contributors leaves the church. Other times, both Contributors stay at the church but with different Envelope Numbers.
In cases where both are staying, offerings then get divided or go to one or the other Contributor. Decisions on “who gets what” Offerings should be made with the contributors’ input. You may need to go back and edit previous offerings if both contributors are going to be staying at the church.
With that in mind, it’s recommended that you print contribution statements prior to these steps so there is a record of the joint giving.
One Contributor is Leaving the Church
- Open the Contributions module, click on Giving and then click "Contributors"
- Find the Contributor Record that you need to edit.
- In the Contributor information section, click into the "Joint contributor" field and then press the Delete key on your keyboard. This will remove the joint contributor from the envelope.
- If the Contributor who is staying at the church was the Joint contributor, make sure they are now listed as the contributor in the "Contributor" field.
- Click Save at the bottom right-hand corner of the window.
Both Contributors are Staying at the Church
- Follow the steps above first to remove the contributor who will not be keeping the envelope number.
- Click "Add" on the Contributor's grid to add a new envelope
- Fill out the new envelope with the information for the contributor that you removed from the divorced couple's envelope.
- After you've added the envelope for the contributor who is on the new envelope number, you'll want to find out how the couple wants to split up the giving. Once you find this out, you'll want to edit the offering records accordingly.