Static Subgroups are lists of people that the user creates manually. A Static Subgroup should be used when a list of names is needed for which no data is common in Shepherd’s Staff.
For example, the church has a softball team and labels are needed to send registration forms out. There is no field for “Softball Team” in Shepherd’s Staff, so a Dynamic Subgroup cannot be made. Creating a Static Subgroup for the softball team is the only way that list can be used in Reports (such as Labels, Address Report, etc.).
A Static Subgroup can also be created by using a Dynamic Subgroup as the basis and then subtracting individuals from it. You can do this by using the Static button while you have a Dynamic Subgroup highlighted. This creates a Static Subgroup based on the results of the Dynamic Subgroup at that time.
Static Subgroups are simply lists of people and will never update automatically.
Here is how to create a Static Subgroup:
- Open the Membership, or Attendance module and click on the Subgroups button in the Central Toolbar
- To make a Static Subgroup from a Dynamic Subgroup, highlight the Dynamic Subgroup and click the Static button. If you just want to create a Static Subgroup from scratch, click the Add button and choose Static.
- Add a name for the Subgroup. A description and category are optional but can be helpful in managing the Subgroups.
- Select people’s names from the Not in the subgroup list, and click Add. If you need to remove people, select them from the In the subgroup list, and click Remove.
- Click Save when you are done.