Sending emails in Shepherd's Staff requires that you have an email account that you would like to use to send your emails. Examples of this are Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo or Zoho. You can configure Shepherd's Staff to send email using Microsoft Outlook, which is part of Microsoft Office, or you can use Shepherd's Staff's SMTP feature that allows you to send emails without using an external email client. You will also need to give a user access to Shepherd’s Staff email through the User Security utility. This access must be granted by your system administrator (logged in with “sysadmin”).
If you don’t have a system administrator or can’t log in using “sysadmin”, please contact Shepherd’s Staff Support at 1.800.346.6120 for assistance.
Here is how to change email access for a user:
- On the Shepherd’s Staff home screen, click “System” > “Security”>"User Security"
- Find the user you want to enable or disable email access for, click on their user ID and click "Edit"
- Check the "Can send e-mail from within the program" box.
- Click Save.
Once this has been completed, your selected user will have the ability on their login to access the email section of Shepherd's Staff, and if you're using Microsoft Outlook, you're now ready to send emails. However, if you want to send email using SMTP, you will still need to set up your connection within Shepherd's Staff. Presently, the email services you can use are Yahoo, Outlook.com (Hotmail, Live accounts) and Zoho.
Note: Due to Google's security protocols, it is not possible to send email using SMTP within Shepherd's Staff. If you want to send email using a Gmail account, configure Shepherd's Staff to use Outlook to send email and add your Gmail account to Outlook.
Here's how to configure Shepherd's Staff to connect to your email provider:
- On the Shepherd's Staff home screen, click on the Send Email icon (The envelope icon) on the Shepherd's Staff Central Toolbar.
- Click the gear icon on the right side of the window that appears.
- Choose "Use SMTP Server".
- Choose the email service you use in the "Choose SMTP Server" and click the Pencil Icon to enable the editing of data.
- In the User ID field, enter your email address that you'll be sending from, and in the Password field, enter your email password.
- When finished click the Save icon where the pencil was at previously. Click Select to save your selections.