To send emails with Shepherd’s Staff, you will need to have an email program installed on your computer that is 32 bit and MAPI compliant. Outlook is the best option.
The reason for this is that Shepherd’s Staff does not actually communicate with the email server. It sends the email text to the default email client software on your computer and that application does the actual transmission. This also means that all virus protection, security, setup, and other email issues are maintained in and are the responsibility of your email program.
You will also need to give a user access to Shepherd’s Staff email through the User Security utility. This access must be granted by your system administrator (logged in with “sysadmin”).
If you don’t have a system administrator or can’t log in using “sysadmin”, please contact Shepherd’s Staff Support at 1.800.346.6120 for assistance.
Here is how to change email access for a user:
- On the Shepherd’s Staff home screen, click “Utilities” > “User security”.
- Click “Add” or “Edit” to open a user window. The email access screen will look the same whether you are adding or editing a user.
- Click the “E-mail Access” tab.
- Check the box “Enable e-mail access for this user” to activate the person’s email.
- Type the person’s email address in the “Default ‘From’ E-mail Address” field.
- The “E-mail ID or Profile Name” and “Email Password” fields need to be filled only if they are required by your email program.
- Click “OK” to save the changes to the user.