The next step in working with your Shepherd’s Staff Finance module is adding Vendors.
A Vendor is any person, company or organization who receives a check, payment or other disbursement from your congregation, including employees. You must have a Vendor record in order to write a check to that Vendor.
Vendor records can be accessed through the Vendor Grid.
- Access the Vendor Grid by clicking Vendors” in the menu bar. You can also click the “V” button in the toolbar.
- The Vendor Grid lists all the active vendor records you have in the database
- To see the inactive vendors, click the “Show inactive vendors” button.
- If you want to create a copy of the last check you wrote to one of your vendors, click the “Repeat Last Check” button. This will open an exact copy of the last check you wrote to this vendor which you can then edit and save as a new check.
- You can also print a single vendor label from this grid by selecting the vendor and clicking the Label button (there is also a Vendor Labels Report).
- Finally you can print this list of records or even export them out to a spreadsheet if desired.
- To Add a Vendor, click the Add button.
- First Choose the Vendor Type and type in the Name (required fields).
- Now type in the general vendor information.
- Beneath the general information on a Vendor, four tabs are available for entering/viewing more information.
- The Contact tab displays name, phone number and other information for contacts associated with this vendor. If you want to add a specific contact, click the Add button.
- The Activity Tab shows the transactions for this vendor. It also allows you to add historical summaries using the Add button.
- The Purchase Orders tab displays all the Purchase Orders that exist for this Vendor.
- The Accounts and Settings tab allows you to designate this vendor as a Minister of the Gospel or receiving a Form 1099. You can also set the preferred accounts for this vendor. When a check is written for this vendor, the drop list of Accounts displays these Accounts at the top of the list, speeding up check entry.
- Once you are finished adding information for this vendor, click OK to save the record.
Once you add transactions to your software for this vendor, those transactions will be tracked under the “Activity” tab.
Besides tracking transactions, Vendor records also keep contacts for that vendor, ordering information, as well as any preferred accounts this vendor uses.
Note: Vendors can only be deleted if they have no summaries in any fiscal year and are marked Inactive. If the vendor does have summaries, it’s recommended you wait till the year end and remove with the Cleanup utility.
In the meantime, you can set that vendor’s status to inactive in the vendor record.