Renumbering Envelopes is a multi step process that breaks down into two parts. The first part, which will be covered in this article, should be performed first, and typically, this part will be performed before the end of year, usually within a month or so of the end of the year. The second part will be performed once you have posted the last offering batch for your year.
Every contributor has a current envelope number and a next year’s envelope number. The current envelope number is used when entering offerings, creating pledges, etc. The next year’s envelope number is the number a contributor will use the next year. Both of these numbers are stored on the person’s contributor record which can be found by going to “Contributor” in the menu bar and choosing “Records.”
If your church doesn’t change envelope numbers each year, the renumbering process isn't required, but it can be useful to remove envelope numbers from people who no longer attend your church.
Note: If you plan on everyone keeping their same numbers, you may want to switch steps 3 and 4. That way the new contributors will fill in some of the open lower envelopes rather than keeping a higher number.
- Make a Backup
- The first step in this process is making a backup. For more information on making a backup, you can find the article on making a backup here.
- Next review the current contributor records and mark those who need to be skipped. A skipped envelope number isn’t deleted or removed, it simply won’t be renumbered (in fact, a 5-digit number over 10,000 will be assigned to make the old number assignable for someone else next year).
- To skip an envelope number, click on Records, Contributors, and then Edit a Contributor Record.
- Check the box “Skip This Envelope When Renumbering,” and then click OK. Do this to all Envelopes that need to be skipped before renumbering Envelopes.
- If you need to mark several contributors as skipped, click the "Unlock" button at the bottom of the grid, and you can then check off if a contributor is skipped directly in the "Skip Renum.?" column. When finished, click the "Lock" button where the "Unlock" button was at to save your changes.
- At this point you will want to add any new contributors so that they are included in the Re-number utility.
- To Add a Contributor, click on Records, choose Contributors, and then click the Add button.
The next step is renumbering the envelopes and to do this we will use the “Renumber Next Year Envelopes” utility.
This utility will give you two options:
» Use the “Current Year” numbers for “Next Year’s” numbers—Everyone will keep their numbers for next year (except skipped contributors).
» Assign “Next Year’s” Numbers Alphabetically—Everyone will get a new number based on their place alphabetically.
This utility will only change the “Envelope (Next Year)” field, and the current number will be left intact until you run the "Start Using Next Year's Envelopes" utility.
After step four you can:
» Print your envelope box labels.
» Print your contributor list so that you have a reference of who had which number.
4. Renumber Next Year Envelopes
- Access this utility by going to “Utilities” in the menu bar and choosing “Renumber Next Year Envelopes.”
- Choose which option you want and then click OK to start the utility.
- Answer Yes to the question to complete the action.