In order to manage a divorce in your database, you will need to know the answers to the following questions:
» Is one of the parties staying at their current residence?
If so, then that party’s Person record can stay within the household while the other person is moved out of the house. You will need to create a new Household record for the party moving to a new residence.
» Are there kids involved and where will the kids live?
This will determine how the kids need to be moved within Shepherd’s Staff.
» Will any names be changing in the process?
Many of these extra changes will need to happen on the Person records, as the Household records will definitely have changes.
Note: If one or both of these people have contributions in the database, then you will need to make the necessary changes in the Contributions module. The steps involved will be covered in the Contributions Manual.
- Go into Membership and from the menu bar select Records, then Households, and then Grid. Create a Household for the moving party. Close the Household Grid.
- Next, go to the Person Grid by selecting Records, then People, and then Grid. Find the party who is moving out and highlight their record.
- Click Move on the bottom of the grid.
- On the Move window that pops up select the new household you are moving them into.
- Clicking OK will move this person into their new household.
- Do this for any children that are moving as well.
- At this point, you will need to make sure that all the data is correct. Go to the Household record and make sure the label names and household type are both correct. Go to each of their Person records and change the married status to divorced on the Personal / Family tab. Make any other changes that need to be made such as the last name.