Every church collects offerings differently and therefore Batches has many optional ways of entering offerings. There are several different check boxes and which ones you check will all depend on how you like to process your offerings.
If you want to verify the name for every envelope, you probably want to check the Show name button. This will add a column for name so you can see the name after you choose the envelope number.
If every offering you are putting in is going to the same fund, you probably want to check the “Repeat Last Fund” check box. This will automatically fill in the Fund cell with the one you just used on the previous line.
The method that will be shown in this manual is the quick method that uses minimal columns. For this method the only boxes we will have checked are “Hide Special Description” and “Hide Check number.”
If you want more information on all the check boxes, press F1 on your keyboard to access the help system.
Note: The Add Contributor button allows new contributors to be added during the Batch entry process.
- Make sure that the Date is correct.
- Check the boxes you want to use. In this case we are checking “Hide Special Description” and “Hide Check number.”
- The Envelope Number can either be typed in or selected from the drop list. Press ENTER or TAB on your keyboard.
- Type in the fund or select it from the drop list. Press ENTER or TAB on your keyboard.
- Type in the amount of the offering. You do not need to enter the $ sign. If it’s a whole dollar amount for the offering like 20, you don’t need to enter a decimal. Press ENTER or TAB on your keyboard to move to the next row.
- Once you are done entering in the Batch, you may want to click the “Batch Totals” button to see a summary of your current Batch.
- Now that the Batch is complete, click Close to end the Batch entry.
- Our next step is to post the Batch.
After closing the Batch entry screen, you will be returned to the Offering Batches window. You will see your Batch (or Batches) in this window. At this point the Batch is still temporary and can be edited by highlighting the Batch and clicking the Edit button which will re-open the Batch entry window.
However, since this Batch is still temporary it won’t show on any grids or reports. In order to make that happen, we must post this Batch. The posting process takes the lines within the Batches and creates an “Offering Record” for each line.
The posting process is also what allows the Contributions module to communicate with Attendance and Finance. You will have the options to:
» Create an Attendance Batch—This allows you to select an event in attendance to create a Batch for. Everyone that gave an offering will be placed in a Batch in the Attendance module which can then be edited to add the rest of the people who came. Click the question mark button for instructions on enabling this feature.
» Create a Deposit in Finance—This option will create a deposit in Finance based on the funds in the Batch and what finance accounts those fund records are attached to.
- Make any necessary edits to the Batch. Verify that the date is correct.
- Reports can be printed to review the Batch before posting by highlighting the Batch and clicking Print. (The detail and summary reports will print during the posting process as well).
- Once the Batch is complete and verified, highlight it and click the “Post” button.
- At this point you get the options to create an Attendance Batch or a Deposit in Finance. Check or uncheck these boxes based on your needs. If you are making a deposit, make sure that the Deposit Date is the actual drop date at the bank.
- Click OK to start the post.
- Answer any verification questions that come up to continue.
- You will receive a message saying the post was successful.
- After Posting, the Batch disappears and the lines become permanent Offering records.