You can also use it to add and edit accounts, add checks and deposits, and see your ledger with one click.
In order to access the tree, go to “Tree” in the Finance menu bar and choose “Show the accounts tree.” You can also open the tree with the following options enabled:
» Start fully expanded—It determines if the tree starts out with all nodes expanded, or with everything closed up to the account type level.
» Start with 1-click turned off—There is a “1-click” option on the tree that determines if a single-click expands/collapses nodes (levels), or if a double-click does that.
Moreover, if you wish to see the tree when you start Finance go to “Desktop” in the menu bar and check the option “Show the Accounts Tree on start-up.”
- Click the green plus/minus to expand and collapse the entire tree. Use the blue plus and minus to expand and collapse a minor group.
- By default, the tree sorts the accounts using the account number. If you wish to sort by name simply check the “By name” checkbox.
- The tree also hides inactive accounts by default. If you want to see those you can check the box labeled “Inactive.”
- The “1-click” option determines if the nodes in the tree expand/collapse with a single-click, or with a double-click. This can help if you wish to see group details without having the group expand or collapse.
- If you can’t find a particular account you are looking for click on the magnifying glass to search for it. You can search by account name or account number.
- You can use the double arrow button in the upper right hand corner to show/hide details for the selected type, group, or account.
There are also many features from the software that are conveniently located on the Chart of Accounts Tree itself.
- Add an account from the tree by clicking the icon in the lower left corner. This button will add an account to the current place you have selected in your tree. So, if you have a minor group currently highlighted the account will be added with that account type, major group, and minor group already selected.
- Edit an account by highlighting that account and clicking the pencil icon in the lower left hand corner.
- You can see the ledger for an account by clicking on an account unless the details are expanded. In that case you will need to highlight the account and click the ledger button.
- If you select an Income or Expense account in the tree, you can view that account’s budget by clicking the budget button at the bottom of the tree. This button will also open the accounts grid.
- Add a check for a selected asset account by clicking the add a check button at the bottom of the tree. You can also add a deposit.
- The refresh button will reload the tree with the latest Chart of Accounts information.
- Use the print button to take you to the Chart of Accounts report.
When you click the double arrow button on the Chart of Accounts Tree, it will expand the details area of the tree.
- The first things in the details area are the current year, beginning balance, and change figures.
- Next will be a grid displaying the activity by month for the current month and the past 18 months for the selected Account Type, Major Group, Minor Group, or Account.
- If you wish to see your income or expense account entries as credits vs. debits instead of as budget vs. actual, check the box labeled
- You can export the contents of the details grid to a spreadsheet using the “Export to spreadsheet” button in the lower right corner.
- Below the data grid you will see a graph of listed data. The graph is color-coded based on the legend to the right side.
- At the bottom of the details section, the tree includes both a high-level Income vs. Expense summary and a high-level Balance Sheet for the entire Fund you are in.
- At any time you can copy these figures to the clipboard using the “copy to clipboard” button.
If you double click a month within the grid you can drill down to the Activity window for that month (not pictured). The Activity window works as follows:
- It shows all the ledger lines making up that total for the selected Account Type, Major Group, Minor Group, or Account.
- The Activity grid automatically lines up to the right of the tree, so that it is in view, and takes up the remainder of the Finance window width.
- You can View the associated transaction for any ledger line. (No changes can be made to the transaction.)
- As a visual aid, the amount is highlighted in either red or green depending if the amount is money added to expense or debt (red) or income or assets (green).
- A total of the net activity shows at the bottom of the window. This total matches that in the Net Activity column of the selected row in the details grid, to the left.
- The grid can be exported to a spreadsheet.