The Go Visiting feature is specifically designed for churches who have pastors or other members using laptop or notebook computers for their visiting routine. The requirements for use are:
» Shepherd’s Staff is used in a network environment;
» Pastors or members making visits make use of a laptop during the visiting process;
» The visiting laptop is not the “server” for the database.
The Go Visiting feature enables a pastor or elder to take the Shepherd’s Staff database out on a visit and make notes on the visitation. Then those notes can then be uploaded into the program at a later time where they can be entered into the records.
The way it works is that it actually creates a local copy of your database and then tells Shepherd’s Staff to use the temporary database (which is always named VDBGOCPH.MDB). Once you connect your computer back to the network and merge the data (or abort the Go Visiting Feature), it switches your Shepherd’s Staff back to your current data.
- It’s recommended that you create a backup prior to using this feature.
- To access the Go Visiting feature you need to be in the Membership module. Close all open windows within the module.
- Click Records on the menu bar, choose Visits, and then Go Visiting.
- Start by clicking Prepare. This will create the temporary database on your local computer and move your Shepherd’s Staff to that temporary database.
- At this point, you can disconnect your laptop from the network and go on your visits.
- During the visits, you can click on the Batch button to create a Visit Batch where you can enter your visit information.
- When you return to church, connect your computer back to the network and click the Merge button. This will move your Visit records to the either the Visit Grid or Scheduled Visits Grid.
- Click Close to exit the Go Visiting feature.
- If you want to cancel this feature, make sure your computer is connected to the network and click the Quit button.