A Shepherd’s Staff database is built from MS Access. Data is entered into three different types of fields: option (drop lists), text, and date. Knowing how to use each type of field is valuable in becoming more familiar with Shepherd’s Staff.
» Text Fields—These fields contain only the data that you type into them. Some examples of these fields would be Spouse’s Name, Address Line 1 and 2, and Email.
- To add or delete: Simply type in or delete/backspace out.
» Option Fields—These fields deploy a drop-down box which gives you options to choose from. Examples of option fields are Marital Status, Ministry Group, and Received By, to name a few.
- To add an item to an option field: Type in the item and hit TAB.
- To delete an item: click drop-down arrow with mouse, scroll with arrow buttons on keyboard to desired item, and Press DELETE on keyboard.
- To remove item from record but not delete from list: press BACKSPACE instead of DELETE.
» Date Fields—These fields only hold a date. Examples of these fields would be Birthdate, Baptized Date, and Wedding Date.
- To add or delete: You can type in a date or delete a date similar to a text field. You can also click the calendar icon to the right, and that can be used to select a date from a calendar.
Note: Option, Text, or Date fields that have blue-colored font are required to be filled out.
» Using the Keyboard—The majority of functions can be accessed without using a mouse. Within Shepherd’s Staff, each word that represents a function has an underlined letter (for example, Records).
- Use the ALT button plus (+) the letter underlined, for example ALT+R, to access Records.
- To navigate within Shepherd’s Staff after using an ALT command, use TAB to go forward, SHIFT (+) TAB to go back. The directional buttons (left, right, up, down) can be used to navigate as well. ENTER is used for OK.
- The Escape button (ESC) will always close an open window.